Ephesians 1:18-19 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might.
vs. 19 “That you will continually experience the immeasurable greatness of God’s power made available to you though faith.” (Passion)
Transformation is not just about me but about them – to Jerusalem, Samaria, and the uttermost parts. Transformation causes others to desire God in their lives.
The power of transformation is the Holy Spirit.
The word consistently used for power in the Scripture is “dynamēos.”
It means power:
– power to perform miracles
– moral power and excellence of soul
– power to live righteously, godly, and sensibly in this present world
– power to influence and demonstrate Jesus to this world
And the Power cannot be separated from the third person of the Trinity – the Holy Spirit.
There are two polar opposites in the modern church:
1. There are those whose experience centers on the Holy Spirit, the dynamous power of God.
2. There are those whose experience centers on the Word, the Logos, the logical, precept by precept defense of the Gospel.
The Word people’s mantra is this…
You have to keep order in the church. “Decent and in order” means to keep that weird stuff I can’t logically explain to yourself. Especially that speaking in tongues and prophecy stuff. Every time you let that stuff loose, it freaks me out. __________________________________
The Power people’s mantra is something like this…
Nothing happens unless the Spirit is fully released. (As if a man could control the God he serves) The Spirit is not fully released unless things feel out of control. If you shut it down, you’re controlling the Holy Spirit and He leaves and goes someplace else.
1. It is the Word and Power – both in unity without competition.
2. “The Word is Power” –
John 16:7 But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.
The Word knew that without the Power transformation could not be realized.
3. “The Word with Power” – in sync in unity not just in the Trinity but in the church. ___________________________________
We will not see revival unless we first see a transformation.
All of us need a transformation in order to be the witnesses to the world.
Transformation is that ongoing mystery of change which every Christian is invited to walk in.
It begins with the Word:
– the promises of God.
– the description of the fruit of the Spirit.
– the stories that describe the character of Christ.
And is empowered by the Spirit.
– The Holy Spirit, when welcomed and embraced, supports and empowers the physical, emotional, and spiritual transformation of the believer.
– This process is the practical and observable demonstration of Romans 8:11, But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
If the Holy Spirit dwells in you, this same Holy Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead will bring life to your dead flesh; He will change what is lifeless into that which is alive through the Holy Spirit.
Transformation is not trying harder or doing it in your own strength. It begins with surrender to the power of the Holy Spirit.
What area of your life do you need transformation today?
3 Part Formula for Success:
– The Word
– The Power of God
– The Fellowship of God’s People
Transformation will not stick until you submit to the Body of Christ.
The Word and Power – it is both.
The Word is Power – it is the same.
The Word with Power – it is in sync.
Romans 12:1-2 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
Give in and stop resisting the Holy Spirit. Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Come present yourself to the Power of God, the Holy Spirit, for change. _____________________________________
1. What is it that you want transformed this year?