Albert King, one of the greatest blues guitarists of the twentieth-century, was famous for his lyrics, “Everyone wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to die.”
Consequently, Heaven has been relegated to FarSide cartoons, misconceptions, and myths.
To really embrace the desire for evangelism, you’ve got to have a clear goal in mind. That goal is the same as the thief’s goal on the cross next to Jesus.
When the curtain draws on this world and we turn toward eternity, everyone wants their first glimpse to be of Heaven and not hell.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.
Look at the words used to describe the common attack against the believer, “speculations and lofty things raised against the knowledge of God.” God wants you to know Him and the devil does not. The lies, half-truths, and deceptions against the true knowledge of God keeps people from knowing not just God, but the love of God, the truth of Jesus, and the power of the Holy Spirit.
Jesus said this about satan:
John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
The first lies that he began to tell were about eternity. Eve repeats what God said, “If you eat from the tree, you will die.” The devil’s response is the first recorded and most devastating lie of all:
Here is the truth:
Heaven and earth are two distinct locations.You can’t have earth in Heaven, and you will never have Heaven on earth. The greatest counterfeit of Heaven is earth.
The idea of Heaven has become what we can posses here on earth. Our society, which has attained such wealth, comfort, self-indulgence, and sufficiency, has little use for Heaven.
1 Corinthians 2:9 “Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, and which have not entered the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love Him.”
2 Corinthians 12:3-4 Paul was “caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak.”
That is why the lie is so dangerous and destructive to the truth! If this is all there is, then just keep living a sorry life. But if Eternity with Jesus is just a few short breaths away, doesn’t it make sense to live in such a way that Paradise and Heaven can also be mine someday?
Colossians 3:1-4 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.
Truths About Heaven:
1) Isaiah 25:6-12 The Lord of hosts will prepare a lavish banquet for all peoples on this mountain; a banquet of aged wine, choice pieces with marrow, and refined, aged wine. And on this mountain He will swallow up the covering which is over all peoples, even the veil which is stretched over all nations. He will swallow up death for all time, and the Lord God will wipe tears away from all faces, and He will remove the reproach of His people from all the earth; for the Lord has spoken. And it will be said in that day, “Behold, this is our God for whom we have waited that He might save us. This is the Lord for whom we have waited; let us rejoice and be glad in His salvation.” For the hand of the Lord will rest on this mountain, and Moab will be trodden down in his place as straw is trodden down in the water of a manure pile. And he will spread out his hands in the middle of it as a swimmer spreads out his hands to swim, but the Lord will lay low his pride together with the trickery of his hands. The unassailable fortifications of your walls He will bring down, lay low and cast to the ground, even to the dust.
2) Luke 13:29-30 “And they will come from east and west and from north and south, and will recline at the table in the kingdom of God. And behold, some are last who will be first and some are first who will be last.”
3) John 14:2-4 “In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way where I am going.”
4) Revelations 7:13-17 Then one of the elders answered, saying to me, “These who are clothed in the white robes, who are they, and where have they come from?” I said to him, “My lord, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. For this reason, they are before the throne of God; and they serve Him day and night in His temple; and He who sits on the throne will spread His tabernacle over them. They will hunger no longer, nor thirst anymore; nor will the sun beat down on them, nor any heat; for the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd, and will guide them to springs of the water of life; and God will wipe every tear from their eyes.”
5) Revelations 21:4 “He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.”
6) Revelations 22:3-5 There will no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him; they will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads. And there will no longer be any night; and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God will illumine them; and they will reign forever and ever.
The lies will be done. The curse of sin and death will be over. Creation will be released form the bondage of corruption.
Romans 8:18-19 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.
Nothing will age. Nothing will be lost. All work will be enduring and productive.
Don’t you want to be with Him in Paradise?
For those that look to Jesus, this world is not your home; you are just passing through.
So, our lives and the way we live point to Heaven where Jesus is, not the earth where the curse and lies live.
Colossians 3:1-7 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory. Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry. For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience, and in them you also once walked, when you were living in them.
– What are some lies, myths, or misconceptions you’ve heard about Heaven?
– Why is it important to know the truth about Heaven in the context of evangelism?
– What excites you about Heaven? Why? (This is important to keep in mind and remember as we go through the struggles, difficulties, rejections, heartbreaks, and persecutions of life. Set your mind on things above; remember this world is not our home.)