This past Sunday we began our discussion by going back to the book of Ephesians to
re-emphasize the importance of putting on each piece of the armor of God. This equips us not only in regard to the struggles we face personally each day, but the battle we face as the body of Christ to pray at all times.
Read Ephesians 6:10-18
1. The Belt of Truth – girds the loins (in most parts)
Read Psalm 51:6
We need to have the truth of God’s Word in our “innermost parts.”
2. Breastplate of Righteousness – protects the heart
Read Phillipians 3:6
Our righteousness is based on the righteousness found in Jesus Christ not our ability to do good things.
3. Shoes of Peace – for the preparation of the Gospel
This is what will separate you from the world wherever your daily path takes you.
“Put on your gospel shoes in the morning.”
4. The Shield of Faith – extinguishes the fiery arrows of the enemy
What is faith? Hebrews 11:1
What are the arrows of the enemy?
5. Helmet of Salvation – guards our mind, helps us think differently
Read Romans 12:2
When you become a Christian your salvation is meant as daily protection against the lies of Satan.
So fill your mind with…
– God’s word
– God’s songs
– God’s thoughts
Renew your mind!
6. The Sword of the Spirit – the Word of God
Read His Word, pray His Word, meditate on His Word…
The Holy Spirit will help you understand if you ask him.
Ephesians 6:18 – With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the spirit.
“Prayer is not so much a weapon or a part of the armor as the weapons by which we engage in the battle itself and the purpose for which we are armed.”
To put on the armor is preparation for the battle.
To pray is the battle itself.
Is it any wonder the devil doesn’t want us to pray?
The devil attacks us through
When we pray these attacks are guarded by the Holy Spirit.
Read Daniel 10
Shows us what it looks like to be a true prayer warrior.
Ephesians 6:12 Our struggle, not against flesh and blood.
The focus of spiritual warfare is the opening of doors for the Gospel.
Colossians 4:3 Praying at the same time for us as well, that God will open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned;
1 Corinthians 16:9 For a wide door for effective service has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.
Hebrews 7:25 Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
Before you can pray to Jesus, you have to know He is praying for you!
– He wants to set you free / the enemy wants to see you bound
– He wants you to be a friend / the enemy wants you as a slave of sin
– He wants to lead you in His truth / the enemy wants you to believe his lies
Today we have a choice.
– What does it mean to pray in the Spirit?
– How can we put on the armor?
– Think about a time when prayer has opened a door for you. How did God answer it?