This past Sunday we began our the discussion of who we will serve by reciting Matt. 6:10,
“Your Kingdom Come! Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” This is our battle cry.
Battle cries come in many different forms, but as Christians this is ours.
We are in a battle, not for land, wealth or ideals, but for souls.
We have a foe. It is not a person or people but a fallen angel named Satan and his cohorts.
There is a prize to be won. The prize is eternity with God. In Philippians 3:7-11, Paul said we may know him and gain the souls of lost men, women, and children are the prize.
Read Ephesians 6:10-12
1. We are warring against satan, “against the schemes of the devil.”
– In Ezekiel 28:12-19, we read the story of Lucifer, a fallen angel.
– In Isaiah 14:12-14, we see that pride and rebellion was his undoing.
– In John 14:30, he is called the prince of this world.
– In Revelations 2:13 it is said that the wicked worship him.
2. We are told to stand firm against his “schemes.”
– Satan exists and operates through deceitful scheming and trickery.
– In Ephesians 6:12, we see that our battle is not against what we can see or hear; it is against a hierarchy of evil whose methods are deception, trickery, and evil.
Every soul in a state of sin is under the rule of Satan.
You either know God or you do not. Satan’s deceitful scheme is to keep the kingdom from invading a life of sin.
3. How do we defend against him?
– Sun Tzu, considered the finest military general in history, wrote “If you know your enemy and know your self you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.”
– We need to know our enemy, satan.
– We need to know ourselves. We are powerless without the Holy Spirit.
Read Luke 4:1-12. Here satan temps Christ with lies mixed with truth.
– vs. 1-4 Turning of stones to bread represents our self-sufficiency; “I can do in on my own.”
– vs. 5-8 Offering all the kingdoms of this world represents our desire for power and control. Yet we are instructed to worship God alone.
– vs. 9-12 Here religion and false faith are offered to prove Himself. Trying to prove God and manipulate Scripture is one of the greatest deceptions today!
How do we defeat him? Wake up every day ready to go to war!
“Thy Kingdom Come!”
1 John 4:4 You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.
Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
Ephesians 1:18-19 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.
– If you have not submitted to Jesus, you are submitted to satan.
– Jesus has eternity in mind and so does satan. Who do you want to spend it with?
– What does it look like to make this choice and not be sitting on the fence?
– How will we know if we are winning the battle?