On this Fourth of July, we will celebrate with…
- $175 million pounds of fireworks
- $150 million on hot dogs
- $203 million on mustard/ketchup/mayonaise
- $150 million on chips and dips
This is the day the Continental Congress approved the final wording of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.
It was not only a “throwing off” of our submission to a tyrannical British monarchy…but a statement of independent thinking, a statement of independence and interdependence centered around the formation of a government that was…
“of the people, by the people and for the people” and
“endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights,
that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of
But the greatest declaration of independence is found in,
Galatians 5:1 (KJV) “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.”
Sabbath is not…
- a day off
- a time to cancel events or not show up
Sabbath is the great declaration of independence that God gave to Adam on the seventh day of creation.
In it, He declared to Adam:
- He was not like the rest of creation.
- He was called alongside God.
- His life was not about a forced submission to a set of laws.
- His life was to be lived in relationship & submission to God.
That is why the Jewish nation was instructed to observe the Sabbath on their release from 400 years of slavery.
Every other religious symbol was shared with other religions…
- Temples? They all have them for their gods.
- Priests? The same.
- Circumcision? Throughout the known world it’s a mark of commitment to one’s god.
- Rules & Regulations? The same.
But the Sabbath…the promise of God to provide while His people rested with Him, this was unheard of!
Go back to Galatians 5:1 “entangled, be in subjection to”
The idea is expressed also by the writer of Hebrews.
Hebrews 12:1 “the sin which so easily entangles us.”
The one thing that separated God’s people from all the rest was the Sabbath.
- That is why it became the primary focus of God in the wilderness.
- He was insisting that if He was to be their God, then they must rest with Him and receive His provision.
- They were the only society that stopped for a day and trusted God to send His provision
And that is what God says to us, His church.
Hebrews 4:9-10 “So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. 10 For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.”
Are you in turmoil?
Do you need God’s provision?
Ask God to send a peace that passes all understanding now!
Two issues that keep a person from breathing deep and enjoying the presence of God – one in Galatians & one in Hebrews. They are different but in the same family. They are cousins bent on destroying God’s promised provision.
The first is in Galatians
Galatians 5:1 “It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.”
The “yoke of bondage” that Paul was referring to was legalism and it is directly tied to the Sabbath.
Man in his flesh cannot make any good gift God gives into a law.
And once legalism is introduced, it destroys the gift.
Sabbath is no exception and, in fact, is still legalized by many.
Look up Matt. 12:1-21
1. The disciples were hungry! Eating a poor man’s meal.
Legalist – “They are grinding the wheat! Foul, Foul!”
vs. 8 – “The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”
Lesson – He will provide!
2. vs. 2 He went into the synagogue – “It is lawful to heal?”
vs. 12 – “How much more valuable is a man than a sheep!”
The Son of man is Lord of His sheep – lost and broken mankind.
Lesson – He will heal!
3. vs. 3 He “withdraws” and heals all of them!
vs. 15-16 – “Tell no one!”
The need for the law will be eclipsed by God’s provision, substances,
healing, justice, hope!
Hebrews 12:1 “Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,A trilogy of Sabbath warfare, Jesus the creator of Sabbath, wrestling with the legalist over God’s good gift of rest.”
- You will never be free if you are living in sin.
- You will never enter His rest if you insist on sin.
- You will never be unencumbered if you don’t “lay aside” sin and untangle your feet from it.
Galatians 5:16 & 18 “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.When Jesus declared your freedom, He also provides the power to do it. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.He fought a war and was declared the Victor over every power that could keep you in bondage.”
And then He provided the power source to walk in it –
The Holy Spirit will empower you to do 2 things:
- Be set free from the rules and regulations of religion.
- Be set free from sin and empowered to walk in His Spirit.
Welcome to the Sabbath friends!
Now come and receive from Him!